University of Port Harcourt Student Denies Involvement in Girlfriend’s Death as Family Seeks Justice

A 24-year-old University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) student named Damian Okoligwe, who is accused of being involved in the death of his 20-year-old girlfriend, Justina Otuene, has denied any responsibility for her demise.

Okoligwe refuted the allegations in an interview with journalists at the Command Headquarters of the Rivers State Police Command on Moscow Road in Port Harcourt.

The suspect claimed that he was unwell when his girlfriend visited his home and stated that he discovered her lifeless when he woke up.

He further asserted that he sought medical attention at his brother’s house and returned three days later to handle her body.

According to Okoligwe, he did not harvest any organs from Justina’s body, emphasizing that her remains were undisturbed.

He explained, “I was very sick that morning, and when I went to the room to check on her, she was still sleeping.

“I went back to the parlor, I laid down because I was very sick. I was calling her, but she was not responding. I had to go back to check on her.

“I went to check on her, she was not moving at all. She was very stiff and strong. After that, I did not know what to do, so I had to carry her body into another room, and then I called my brother to come to my place.

“He came, and then he took me out of the place. He did not know there was anybody in my house. He took me to his place. That was where I received my treatment.

“I was thinking that if I reported the issue, I would be blamed for everything. So, I was trying to wrap her body and get rid of it, which was very wrong of me to do.

“As I came back that Wednesday to come and wrap her body, that was the Wednesday the police came.

“I did not remove any of her body parts.”

He also mentioned that their relationship was not stable.

Okoligwe added that the deceased had taken a Bolt ride to his house on her own and was supposed to leave the same night, but he unintentionally fell asleep.

On the other hand, John Otuene, the elder brother of the deceased, expressed his family’s desire for justice in this case.

“On Wednesday, we received a call reporting a case of a deceased person at the Ozuoba Police Station, and we were asked to go to the Police Station.

“So, I reported to the IPO at Mini-Okoro Police station. We reported to the commander. The commander gave the IPO a go-ahead.

“All of us went to the Ozuoba Police Station, and they met the officer there who confirmed that the missing person in the picture is the person that was killed.

“I need justice. The guy that did it should pay for it, and everybody that was involved because definitely, he was not the only one that was involved. Justice is what we need,” he stated.


CREDIT: DailyPost